Pages

Aligning Our Aspirations with God’s Word


When you think of the word “aspiration”, you may interchange it with the word “dream”; an aspiration can feel like a desire that is far-off and improbable. Instead of unlikely to happen, think of an aspiration as a pre-meditated aim that can direct how we act, speak, and live. An aspiration is a target to help get us to our goal of becoming more like God. The key to a meaningful aspiration is to decide what the target is before given the opportunity to walk it out. Aspirations are most helpful when inspired by Biblical truth. When we aspire to be who God wants us to be, we can more clearly make God-honoring decisions.

I’ve come up with a few aspirations for my life and included scriptures that inspired them. I wanted to share a few I came up with so you can also try out this exercise. I believe that making a list of aspirations based on His Word will give you a clear focus on your life.

1.     I will put my trust in you by reminding myself how You’ve been faithful.
“And those who know Your name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You.” Psalm 9:10
2.     I will seek your face in the morning.
“ As for me, I shall behold Your face in righteousness; When I awake, I shall be satisfied with your likeness.” Psalm 17:15
3.     I will seek Your counsel first, before all others.
I bless the Lord who gives me counsel; in the night also my heart instructs me.” Psalm 16:7
4.     I will not gossip but will speak life with my tongue.
“O Lord, who shall sojourn in your tent? Who shall dwell on Your holy hill? He who walks blamelessly and does what is right and speaks truth in his heart; who does not slander with his tongue…” Psalm 15:1-3
5.     I will communicate with God about areas that cause me to stumble into sin.
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
6.     I will seek prayer before pity. My prayers will be expectant.
“Hear my cry, O God, listen to my prayer; from the end of the Earth I call to you when my heart is faint.” Psalm 61:1-2
7.     I will pursue community even when I don’t feel like it, it hurts, or I am uncomfortable with it.
“As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another.” Proverbs 27:17
8.     I will faithfully take the next step you have for me, even when I don’t know where it will take me.
“Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:1-2
9.     I will give thanks to God for what He has blessed me with.
“Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good; His love endures forever.” 1 Chronicles 16:34
10. I will accept your sacrifice on the cross, in exchange for my sins. I will not try to earn the gracious gift You gave through works.
“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy, and My burden is light.” Matthew 11:28-30



This list of aspirations is not exhaustive, but it has really helped me clarify who God wants me to be. When faced with a choice to follow my way or His Word, I can remember the aspiration I am aiming for. I don’t hit the target every time, by any means. However, this exercise has given me a way to remind myself of what thoughts God wants for me.

As you are praying and reading His Word, write down a list of things He keeps reminding you to do or verses that continue to come to your mind. Once you have a solid list, meditate on these aspirations as you go through your day. Pray that God will make His aspirations your aspirations.


Question: Are there any aspirations you already have? Are there any aspirations that I listed that you also would like to work towards? 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this! It's a great way to speak truth into my life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! Creating a list of aspirations based on His Word will definitely give me a clear focus on my life! Thank you for your post and all your helpful tips ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like it and it will be helpful to you!

      Delete
  3. Oh I love this! So much better than the wishful/positive thinking I see sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! Positive/wishful thinking leaves us right where we are, with no plan forward.

      Delete

When Answered Prayers are Not Enough

  When Answered Prayers are Not Enough                In the past year, I’ve had many prayers answered. Some have been answered with an unmi...