Pages

Biblical Call for Productivity



Appointments, home chores, work tasks, gatherings, hobbies, oh my! At times, it can feel like there are not enough hours in the day to do the things we want or need to do. Productivity is an ideal that most people long to reach so they can have time for what is important. Productivity is not just a worldly goal, but there is a Biblical mandate for it. In the first chapter of the Bible, Adam and Eve were put to work by God. They were called to have children and be rulers over living things (Genesis 1:28). Even now, God has called us to make “the best use of the time” (Ephesians 5: 16 ESV). Here are some ways Biblical productivity may differ from worldly productivity:

1.     Productivity is not about us.
As I was perusing Pinterest for productivity quotes, I was amazed by the self-glorification found in the quotes. There was a mirage of sayings like “Only you can make it happen,” “I got this.” and “Things are always working out for me.” According to these sayings, the goal of productivity is to win at being me. This pursuit of self-excellence ignores the real goal of productivity. The goal of being a productive person is to do your work so you are available for what God may be calling you to do. Consider the command given by Jesus,
“Teacher, which is the great commandment in the Law?”
And He said to him, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and all your soul and with all your mind.
This is the great and first commandment.
And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
On these two depend all the Law and the Prophets. (Matthew 22:36-40 ESV).
By taking care of the things God has called us to manage, we are freed to be present for those God is calling us to be there for.

2.     Doing more does not give us an identity.
Look around and you’ll see to-do lists a mile long. If you’ve seen the large sections in planners these days, you know what I’m talking about! Some of us have something planned for every hour of the day. It’s almost as if we are trying to find our identity in the length and extent of our to-do lists. More does not equal better. We may be sacrificing a better “yes” by feeling the need to be it all for all people. Paul tells us that by “testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect” (Romans 12:2 ESV). The more we are in tune with who God is, the more we will know who He has called us to be. Our reflection as a child of God is expressed through our doing the things God has specifically called us to do. By applying this to our lives, we may not only be doing the best things but may also shorten our to-do list.
3.     A completed to-do list is not the goal.
A pen mark through a task on my to-do list is a satisfying feeling. Nothing beats seeing a to-do list completely finished. There may be a time for an incomplete to-do list. Often, Jesus was interrupted when He was doing His Earthly ministry. His to-do list was probably more often than not left unfinished. As Jesus was teaching His disciples about fasting, a man approached Jesus. The man told Jesus that his daughter had just died, but wanted Jesus to touch the girl. In a moment that could have been looked at as a distraction, “Jesus rose and followed him, with His disciples” (Matthew 9:19 ESV). What began as an afternoon of teaching twelve disciples became an opportunity for healing. The remarkable nature of this healing would spread to neighboring districts. Maybe God was trying to show us that distractions to our to-do lists could be the most important “yes’s that we allow. It’s often when we give of our selves sacrificially, we see God use us in the most remarkable ways.

Understandably, it is difficult to lay our schedules down before God and ask for direction. Maybe, like me, you have also found identity in doing more. The more I have grown to accept what God has called me to do, the less overwhelmed I feel. Jesus said, “my toke is easy and my burden is light” (Matthew 11:30 ESV). Perhaps when we lay down the weight of trying to earn acceptance, we can truly gain freedom to worship Go

10 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this post. It has reminded me (again!) of what my God-chosen role is in this life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading! We sure do need reminders, sometimes:)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for sharing this! I loved finding your blog - intentional is my word for the year! I really enjoyed reading this post, it is always a much needed reminder for me that my goal is not to accomplish all the worldly things, but to focus on the things he is calling me to do, big or small. I just finished reading The Best Yes by Lysa Terkeurst and it goes perfectly with what you mentioned about how we often sacrifice our "best yes" in order to meet all the needs of others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's a great word fo r the year. I have also read that and it has changed my view of what I agree to.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your post! I am definitely giving my schedule to God this year! I want to be productive working from Him and not outside of Him!! Blessings Sweet Sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great goal for the year. I love that you mention working from Him because I think that's really the key to finding joy and fulfillment.

      Delete
  4. What an encouraging post, and right on time. Thanks for reminding us to to let God direct our paths, accepting His peace and surrendering our overwhelm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the midst of making goals for the New Year, this is a good reminder that our version of productivity should be different from the world. I especially appreciate what you said about Christian productivity not being focused on ourselves. I often cringe at even Christian motivational quotes and saying that have this same self focus. Thanks for a great blog post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, our thinking should be set-apart from the way the world thinks of things. So true about Christian motivational quotes. If it's not pointing us back to loving God, it is not beneficial. Thanks for reading!

      Delete

When Answered Prayers are Not Enough

  When Answered Prayers are Not Enough                In the past year, I’ve had many prayers answered. Some have been answered with an unmi...