Pages

How One Word Can Change the Direction of Your Year


New Years Resolutions. We’ve all had them, dropped them, and made new ones. I don’t know what it is about resolutions. Maybe it’s the resolute nature of them, but I never can keep it throughout the year. When I heard about the “One Word” movement, I was a bit skeptical. I’m all for fresh starts and new direction, but one resolution for the whole year just ties a person down! As someone who wanted to live intentionally throughout the year and my life, I needed a way to focus my year. Here’s a simple, yet thoughtful activity you can do as you begin a new year that can change the direction of your year.

Step 1: Pick a word.

The first step to implementing the one word is to prayerfully consider what area God is leading you to work on in the New Year. Many times in my life, the word has been popping up in my prayer journal, prior to my choosing it. Maybe you’ve had a word that you’ve been mulling over (trust, contentment, humility). Two years ago, my word was “blessings”. Last year, my word was “discipline”. This year, my word will be “community”. The important thing to remember when choosing a word is that it is a decision you make with God.

Step 2: Display the word.

For anything you want to commit to, it is important to have a way to remind yourself of the commitment. The first year I did the one word activity, I made a blessings jar. Throughout the year, I would write down anything that I considered a blessing. Last year, I painted a canvas with the word “discipline”, along with a verse that shaped my vision for the year. The key is to be creative so that you will remember the word throughout the year.



Step 3: Find a verse(s).

A word is meaningless void of scripture. Scripture gives clarity and significance to the word. The verse you find should match the direction God is putting on your heart. Throughout the year, you can memorize the verse. I like to post the verse on my bathroom mirror to help me remember it. It’s also helpful to meditate on the verse when considering how you are applying the word to your life.

Step 4: Live it out.

Now it’s time to put some feet on your word and live it out! It’s great to make all the preparation, but it won’t change your year until you start listening to the direction of the Spirit, in regards to your word. One of my favorite things about the one-word activity is the aspect of accountability. A close friend and I choose our word and share it with one another. Throughout the year, we pray for each other and ask probing questions. When one of us is struggling, the other can encourage and point back to God. The beautiful thing about applying one word is you can see progress in that area throughout the year.

Rather than focusing on one goal, the one-word activity enables you to think beyond your current preoccupation. You are no longer tied down to this one thing that may or may not match the direction of your life three months down the line. One word can be used to guide your decision-making and thought processes throughout the year.


Are you ready to begin the New Year with purpose and direction? Check out My One Word for more information.

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea....thanks for the tips!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. Would definitely help me follow through!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea !! My word for 2018 is COURAGE ! I will take your advice and display it.

    ReplyDelete

When Answered Prayers are Not Enough

  When Answered Prayers are Not Enough                In the past year, I’ve had many prayers answered. Some have been answered with an unmi...